These services offer advice and support.


Feeling extremely low all of the time? You may have depression.

Self-help: Explore your feelings with a friend, family member, college advisor or school nurse. Seek help from your local doctor. If necessary a GP could also refer you for counselling.

The Site offers online chat and support for young people with depression. Post questions to experts and speak to like-minded people

Young Minds offers a confidential helpline and online support to young people dealing with depression.

Anxiety UK has helpful information about anxiety and related issues.  Their email information service and helpline is open to all.  Helpline:  Monday – Friday  9:30-5:30pm 08444 775 774

The Samaritans will listen if you want to talk about your depression. At any time of day or night call either the local Leicestershire Samaritans on 0116 270 007 or call the National Number: 08457 90 90 90.  If you have no credit or land line, you can TEXT: 07725 90 90 90 and ask them to call you.  Email

Rethink is a site for young people and the link above takes you to a guide for HELPING SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION

Students Against Depression is a student website and blog providing information about how depression works, the signs of depression, suicidal thoughts and feelings, how to tackle it and how to move forward.

Mental Wealth UK are a student-led campus organisation.  Depending on your university you may be able to contact the group for advice and guidance on dealing with depression or any other mental health issue you may have (Leicester University has a Mental Wealth Group). They will be able to direct you to the relevant student service.

The Rural Stress Helpline offers telephone support and advice for anybody living in a rural area and feeling troubled, anxious or stressed.  There are LINKS  to a number of charities and organisations aimed at supporting farmers and their families through troubled times.  For the Helpline call 0845 094 8286.

Poor Self Image

Concentrating on the things you do not like about yourself? Feeling ugly, inadequate, unloveable? This negative thinking is called ‘low self-esteem’ and can prevent your from socialising, trying new things, developing your friendships.

Self help: Focus on the things you like about your own body, hair, face, shape, abilities and sexuality. This positive self-regard builds self-esteem.  Sharing your anxieties with positive others, can be helpful, especially if they’ve overcome similar issues. 

Follow the link: Sometimes a particular issue or problem in life such as relationship or family break-up, bullying, or any other problem can impact negatively on the way you may see yourself. These links connect you to other groups and organisations that deal with low self-esteem.

Childline offers advice and information to young people up to the age of 19.  This link talks about building CONFIDENCE and SELF-ESTEEM. Help line: 0800 11 11.

The Kidshealth website offers teenagers with an image problem specific information that can help with issues such as poor body image, eating habits, sexual health and more and aims to help build self-esteem.

The Site has great tips, info, short films and articles for young people (16-24) about building low self – esteem and a positive self-image.

B-eat is a campaign to help young people and adults beat eating disorders. This site offers  leaflets and booklets for all ages and both men and women suffering from an eating disorder.  Support is also offered through a Youth Line. Tel: 0845 643 7650.

The Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Centre for Leicestershire and Rutland offers advice and support, to anyone questioning their sexuality or gender identity, aged 13 – 19.

A youth club facility for 13-19 year olds is open at the centre in Leicester on Thursdays 7-9pm. Tel: 0116 255 0667.

Find out whatGender means to young people through these short clips.

Self Harm

SELF-HARM is the act of hurting yourself in an attempt to momentarily release feelings of anxiety about a situation or issue that you are extremely anxious about.

Self-help: Self-harmers understand self-harmers, talking to people who have experienced what you are going through can help your recovery. Counselling is another way to share your feelings and find support. Normally you need to be referred for counselling through your GP. You could also self-refer to some local counselling groups (see COULD COUNSELLING HELP YOU).

Follow the link: Some of the organisations below offer advice and support through confidential help-lines.

Harmless is an organisation lead by people who have experienced self-harm.  They offer support if you are self-harming, and to your friends and family too. Tel: 0115 934 8445

The National Self Harm Network is a network of support groups for individuals who self harm and their family and friends.. Support  Support Helpline:0800 622 6000 (7pm-11pm Thursday-Saturday, 6.10pm-10.30pm Sunday).

Young minds Find out more about self harm. Contact their helpline and on line service offering confidential support and information.

If you are trying to support somebody you know who is self-harming (friend, parent, relative) this link from The Site aimed at young people (16-24 years old) offers some good advice.

Feeling Suicidal

FEELING SUICIDAL is having serious thoughts and feelings about taking your own life.

Self-help: You are important, your life is important. Just by accessing this app you have taken a small and positive step towards self-help. Sharing how you feel with a trusted relative or friend, or by confiding in a collage advisor or school nurse:they will listen if you tell them how you are feeling and offer support. Your doctor can refer you on for specific counselling or you can self-refer to some local counsellors (see COULD COUNSELLING HELP YOU).

The Samaritans will listen if you want to talk about how you are feeling. At any time of day or night call either the local Leicestershire Samaritans on 0116 270 007 or the National Number: 08457 90 90 90.  If you have no credit or land line, you can TEXT: 07725 90 90 90 and ask them to call you.  Email:

Papyrus supports people who are feeling suicidal.   If you are having thoughts or feelings about taking your life, or you are worried about a young person at risk of suicide, telephone THE HOPE LINE UK 0800 068 41 41. Email TEXT: 07786 209 697
Mon-Fri 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm.
Weekends 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm

SURVIVORS OF BEREAVEMENT BY SUICIDE Have you lost a friend or loved one to suicide? SOBS exists to support you through your loss. Call for support on: 0844 561 6855.

Young minds is a website for young people offering advice about mental and emotional health.  If you are thinking about asking for help this link will tell you about the professional services or ‘who’ may become involved with you and your family, as part of the mental health system.  It’s good to know who is who and what they are meant to do.

The Calm Zone campaigns against living miserably (CALM) and seeks to reduce the high suicide rate amongst men under 35. Helpline, magazine and online community.

Metanoia speaks directly to you. If are thinking about suicide: read this first.  Another way to view your emotions and a very insightful guide to help you understand how to view your emotional state of mind.


Grieving for someone or something that has died. When you are young and someone you love dies or abandons you forever, just getting through each day can be so hard. The whole family may be grieving all in different ways, and knowing how to approach others, and cope with your own feelings can be complicated.

Self-help: Sharing how you feel with someone outside the situation can help such as a trusted relative or friend, or confide in a college advisor or school nurse. Your GP can also listen and refer you on for bereavement counselling.

Follow the link: Sharing your grief with people who understand as part of support group is helpful.

If you are 19 or under this link to Childline about grieving, helps to explain the emotional journey involved when someone close to you dies.  There is also a blog to share your experiences.  You can call Childline to talk to someone free on 0800 1111, and there is 1:2:1 online counselling offered.

RD4U is a website designed for young people by young people who are grieving for someone who has died. It is part of CRUSEBereavement Care'sYouth Involvement Project.

The Samaritans will listen if you want to talk about your loss. If you are over 18 call at any time of day or night call either the local Leicestershire Samaritans on 0116 270 007 or call the National Number: 08457 90 90 90.  If you have no credit or land line, you can TEXT: 07725 90 90 90 and ask them to call you.  Email the Samaritans for online correspondence:

The Laura Centre is a Leicester based counselling charity which can support children and young people living with the loss of a parent or family member.  (You may need an adult to ring this number for you if you are under the age of eighteen). TEL: 0116 254 4341

The Grief Encounter group offer advice, e-counselling a blog for info, art and stories, and opportunities to speak to somebody about a loss (provided under 16s have an adult) (

Leicester Sands is a voluntary group of parents who have all experienced the death of a baby either during pregnancy or soon after birth. They offer support, understanding, comfort and most importantly, a listening ear. They are able to offer telephone support and support meetings. Telphone:07721068464

SURVIVORS OF BEREAVEMENT BY SUICIDE (previously known as SOBS) Have you lost a friend or loved one to suicide? Call for support on: 0844 561 6855.

The Winston Wish Charity support children and young people who are bereaved, and offer links to organisations supporting loss of a loved one in the military services.

SAMM- Support After Murder And Manslaughter Offer understanding & support to families & friends, who have been bereaved as a result of murder and manslaughter. There is a confidential helpline 0845 872 3440.

Loss of a pet

companion and pet family member can take time. Writing poetry, painting pictures, planning a funeral and building small shrines to your lost pet can help to accept your loss by expressing how you feel.  This can be a shared experience with family and friends. However, you may feel better talking to someone confidentially about your loss.  The links below can help you do that.  The chancesspotlink is for children, and may be useful if you are under 16 or want to support a younger brother or sister.

CallTHE BLUE CROSS support line to talk to a trained volunteer who can offer emotional support and information to young people and adults.  Tel: 0800 096 6606 (8.30am - 8.30pm every day). All calls are free and confidential from a landline. Email:

Chancespot is a website dedicated to pet loss.  There are some really helpful booklets (pdfs) to download for children and younger teens to support the grieving process.


Bullying occurs when someone tries to assert power over someone else in an intimidating or controlling manner that makes the other person feel weak and helpless. It can happen in all different kinds of places and situations and online.  You may be emotionally or physically traumatised; which can cause sleeplessness, loss of appetite, fear of going out, skipping school, college or work, or even self-harming or feeling suicidal because of the situation. Getting help is vital.

Self-help: If you are at home, school, college or work, speak to a trusted adult about what is happening so they can support you to tackle the problem. Once highlighted, your school or college ARE RESPONSIBLE for helping you. In serious cases of bullying call the POLICE on 999 or 101.

Follow the link: For additional advice and support.

Beyond Bullying aims to answers young people’s questions and queries about bullying. The site offers useful and practical information, statistics and real-life stories. Also find suggestions as to where else you can to go for extra help and advice.

Bullying information and advice on many kinds of bullying situations. Tips and guidance for beating bullying. Email and phone support: Tel: 0808 800 2222

The Young Worker website offers information about how to deal with bullies at work if you are employed or on work experience.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) maybe able to offer you information and advice about how to tackle problems such as bullying at work.  See below for some of Melton CAB clinic venues and times.  Contact the Children’s Centres for details of other CAB drop-ins in Melton.

Parkside Council Offices Burton Road, LE13 1GH (near the Melton Station) Mondays and Thursdays 10am-3.30pm.  Call to make an appointment on 01664 882210 or drop in but be prepared to wait up to an hour if busy

Melton Mowbray Library Wilton Road, Melton Mowbray, LE13 0UJ. Tuesdays 10am-3:30pm (NB: The phone number is only active on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays)

Stamp Out Bullying Offers free online resources, advice, documents and other information about coping with bullying.

Report a Hate Incident If you have been physically attacked, threatened verbally or through offensive letters (including online) or been the victim of other aggressive, abusive or threatening behaviour, you can report it: You do not have put up with it.

Study Stress

Coping with study, can cause feelings of stress and anxiety.  The pressure to achieve success, or the fear of failure can sometimes be overwhelming but sharing your anxieties with a relative or teacher can help.

Self help: Have a revision timetable planned, with regular breaks, a quiet place to study and concentrate, good sleep and food, and rewards for meeting revision targets.

Follow the link:

Mind offer information and support to all students about how to cope with the stress of student life.

D-Stress is an advice and guidance website set up by students for students by providing links for stress-busting.

7 Savvy Study Techniques to help you learn.

Sexual Health / Contraception

Looking after yourself and your body is an important aspect of self-care. While you may be embarrassed to ask for help about a sexual health issue it is vital that you do. 

Self-help: Always use contraception (condoms, pill, etc.) to protect yourself and others from unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases (STIs). Prevention is better that cure!

Follow the link:

Sexual Health for under 25s is essential. Get free advice and treatment, at the Leicester Royal Infirmary Sexual health Clinic confidential service.

Fill-the-pot is an online and postal service offering FREE and CONFIDENTIAL Chlamydia testing for 15-24 year olds.  Just click online for a test kit, send your wee sample back in a postage paid pack, and receive your test results by TEXT completely anonymously. 

Full Sexual Health Clinic  - St. Mary’s Hospital, Melton Mowbray Open every Wednesday from 5.30 – 7.30pm, Specialist nurses offer a confidential service providing condoms, contraceptive pill, implants, emergency contraception, termination advice, and full screening for sexually transmitted Infections (STI). This service is by appointment only and available to anyone who needs help and advice, EVEN IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 – Call confidentially on 01664 800143. No information will be shared with the GP or anybody else.

C.H.A.T CLINIC Confidential Sexual Health Drop-in clinic for Young People in Melton.

Alcohol, Drug & Substance Abuse

Many young people engage in taking drink or drugs and forming a habit is really easy.  However, getting off drugs and drink can be tough, and an addiction can wreck your life.

Self-help: If you are struggling with drink or drugs try and speak with someone outside of the situation or peer group. If you feel unable to do this and need help with an addiction, your GP could help(see Local Medical Facilities)

Follow the link: If you are considering drinking or drug taking, check out the sites below so you know the facts first. Log on to this site to find out if you are drinking too much.

The Site gives young people online advice and information about everything to do with drugs and alcohol.  You can ask any question online and an expert will answer you.

FRANK helps you find out everything you might want to know about drugs (and some stuff you don't).  A friendly, confidential advice service is also offered. Tel: 0800 77 66 00.

NEED SUPPORT TO GIVE UP?  The Substance Misuse Strategic Team (SMST) offer a supported programme of recovery from an addiction for young people in Melton Mowbray.  The link above gives you an online ‘treatment journey’ overview to help you understand how the Substance Misuse team can support you through addiction and beyond.  All drugs are listed, so you can just CLICK the right links to get a picture in advance of a programme of support available for you.  Call 0300 303 5000 for more information.

Alateen is for teenage relatives and friends of alcoholics. Alateen offers a small number of support groups for 12-17year olds across the country.  To find out where the current groups are call this number 020-740-70215.  If there is not an ALATEEN group nearby, young people living with a drinker and seeking help are allowed to attend an AL-ANON meeting (preferably with adult support but welcome unaccompanied if necessary and 12 years or older).  Call the help line above if you are thinking of attending a group. Meetings: Leicester: Thursday 19:30-21:00 Location: West End Neighbourhood Centre, Andrews Street (off Hinckley Road), Leicester, Leicestershire, LE3 5PA England. See MAP Leicester: Wednesday 19:30-21:00 Location: Stonygate Baptist Church, 315 London Road, Leicester, Leicestershire, LE2 3ND England. See MAP

The National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACOA) offers young people living with a drinker or alcoholic a free and confidential help line if you would like to talk to someone.  Advice and support can be offered although no names need to be taken and the call will not show up on a land line bill.  Helpline: 0800 358 3456

Melton Mowbray Sobriety are a local alcoholics anonymous( AA) ‘open’ group meeting at The Samworth Centre on Tuesdays at 7.45pm. Rm 1, The Samworth Centre, 8 Burton St, MELTON MOWBRAY.  The details of this group are found on the AA website where more information about alcoholism can be found.  If you are 18 years or over this group may be able to help

Abuse / Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence is the experience of physical, verbal, emotional or psychological aggression within the home. Abuse can happen to anybody, and whether male, female, gay, straight, young or old, there are services, including the Police, ready to help.

Self help: You may feel worried about talking about what is happening, but it may be the only way to make a change in the situation. If you are still at school or college think about confiding in a school advisor or nurse. If you feel there is real danger from abuse or violence the police are able to act quickly (call 999), and from there your situation may be supported by other groups of professionals such as social services. 

Follow the link: If you or somebody you know is experiencing a serious form of abuse there are many local services ready to help.  If you don’t want to involve the Police there are other confidential charities and organisations listed below who can advise and support you. 

The Hideout gives young people information about domestic violence, and what to do about it.  Have a look at this site if you are a young person trying to live with violence in the home.

CHILDLINE understands what it is like for a young person trying to live with domestic violence and abuse.  You can read about how to get help or call their helpline for support: 0800 11 11

Get Connected is there for young people under 25 experiencing abuse or domestic violence.   They offer email, web chat text and free phone to anyone under 25 who needs to talk about any issue or problem. Call: 0808 808 4994 Text: 80849.

ThisLeicestershire Police Domestic Violence web-link gives you all the info you need to report and find support for domestic violence.  Advice relating to safe-guarding children, legal rights and more is available.  For emergency situation call 999 or 101.

Free from Violence and Abuse is a Leicester based charity supporting people in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland out of damaging situations.

Women's Aid is the key national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. Free phone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline: Telephone: 0808 2000 247.

Living Without Abuse (LWA) believes that all people have the right to live safely and without fear of violence and abuse. There is a young people’s service for those aged 12-18yrs.  Call the office on: 01509 550317 or 0300 365 0112

Follow this link to theLeicestershire County Council website to find all the LOCAL services you need to help deal with domestic abuse. Whether you are a MAN or a WOMAN there is a source of help in this list for you.

Broken Rainbow Supports lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people who are experiencing domestic violence. Call for support: 0300 999542

Services just for Men living with domestic Violence ( 16  years +)

Adam Project Domestic abuse against men is more common than you might think.   Any man living in Leicester, Leicestershire or Rutland who is experiencing, or is at risk from, domestic abuse can find support here, whether you’re straight, gay, bisexual or transgender. Email:

Sexual Assault / Rape

Is if someone coerces you to undertake any kind of sexual act through force or against your will. It is easy to feel confused, threatened, ashamed or frightened by an assault which can leave you fragile and humiliated.

Self help:Even if you have been threated to keep quiet about an assault it is very important to get help immediately. The earlier you seek help, the greater the possibility of gaining physical and emotional evidence and support.

Follow the link:

If you are under 19 years old and have experienced rape CHILDLINE offers simple advice and a confidential, FREE helpline: 0800 11 11.

Jasmine House Leicester Rape Crisis offers support to all women, aged 16 and over, in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland, The helpline is open from Tuesday to Friday 10 am until 4 pm and on Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6 pm until 9 pm.  Telephone: 0116 255 8852 Survivors UK provide a dedicated helpline and service for men aged 18 or over.  If you want to talk about male rape or sexual abuse, call the National helpline in confidence on 0845 122 1201

Male Rape Crisis centres provide counselling and support services for men and boys who have experienced sexual violence, either as a child or an adult. Rape Crisis Victim Support is a national charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected across England and Wales. Tel: 0845 30 30 900

Coping As A Young Carer

If you are a young carer responsible for a relative who has a learning or physical disability, or illness, you are entitled to some ‘time out’ and support and advice from professional services. 

Self help: Make sure your situation is known to your school, college or university. You should be supported by teachers, school nurses, social services and other agencies which are there to help, so always talk to them about what you need. 

Follow the link:

The Carers-UK site has an advice line you can call if you need to talk about your situation or any concerns you are having. Advice line: 0808 808 7777

Barnardos Care Free is a project that offers ‘time out’ to young carers in Leicestershire so they can have a break from their responsibilities.  If you feel you need a break Tel: 0116 286 7182 for more information.

Time Out is a weekly support and activity group for young carers aged between 11 and 25, held at Mountfields Lodge Youth Centre, Loughborough. For details call: 01509 236043.

The Young Carers Net (YCNET) is a fantastic website for young carers offering real stories, info about your mental health, how to ask for help, and who is there to support you.  There is an online Blog and email service for your questions – a good online carer community.  Phone line: 0844 800 4361

See ‘The Jitty’ for information about the Young Carers group at Venture House, in Melton Mowbray. Contact Call: 01664 565460.

Labelled - For Young Carers is a Facebook page linked to the Leicestershire and Rutland Carers’ Action group.  If you are a young person and want to air your opinions about what it is like to care for someone with mental or physical problems, and local support services for young carers, then visit their Facebook site and have your say.

Coming Out Of Care / Homelessness

Homelessness is the situation of finding oneself without a safe place to call a home. Sleeping rough and sofa-surfing opens you up to many dangers and is not a suitable long-term solution to homelessness.

Self help: Think carefully before leaving home because if you make yourself deliberately homeless, without good reason, and have nowhere to go, the authorities are not obliged to offer support. 

Follow the link:

All local Leicestershire council links are here. Find your council office contact details.

If you live in the Melton Mowbray area and are between 14 and 19 years old and find yourself homeless or are thinking or leaving home, follow this link to find all you need you know:Homelessness - A Guide for Young People 14-19 years.

If you are over 19 and for a reason beyond your control, you need advice and support to find a safe place to live, contact Melton Borough Council as soon as possible for help.  If you are pregnant, a care-leaver under 21 years old, a parent of a child under 16, suffering with mental illness, or escaping violence and /or abuse, you will be considered a priority case.

Melton Borough Council General housing advice and information to private and council tenants and homeless people. Out of hours emergencies phone 01664 481000. How to contact: Drop-in, phone, contact for an appointment. Phone:01664 502502 Address: Council Offices, Park Side, Station Approach, Burton Street, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE13 OGH

While there are no actual shelters for the homeless in Melton Mowbray, these organisations may also be able to help you:

The Y Action & Support Centre is part of the Leicestershire YMCA offering a drop in centre for homeless people near the Leicester Train station.  If you find yourself homeless and on the streets, this is a place to consider, to keep safe and receive support and advice to help your situation.

Action Homeless is a Leicester based charity working to improve services for the homeless.  They have accommodation to support homeless people until they get back on their feet.  If you need help to stay safe and off the streets, contact Action Homeless: 0116 22 11 851 Email:

Leicestershire Cares are running the Flying Fish project which supports young care leavers through individual mentoring to get into the world of work. They may also be able to support you through homelessness and substance addiction.  Once sorted they can help get you into work .If you would like help contact Parminder Basra (Flying Fish Project Co-ordinator), Telephone:0116 275 65

Street Link is a charitable service you can contact for help if you or somebody you know is sleeping rough or about to be made homeless.  The site provides online links to other organisations offering advice on housing, benefits and health issues.

This link to Homeless UK details WHO is supposed to be able to help you if you are homeless.  There is lots of excellent information on this website which will give anybody sleeping rough an idea of who to talk to.

Catch- 22 offer programmes to help people they work with to steer clear of crime or substance misuse, do the best they can in school or college and develop skills for work, live independently on leaving care or custody, gain new skills and confidence as parents, and play a full part in their community. Call or Skype on: 0207 336 4800.

Get Connected Use this link to find more contacts for council support in Leicester and Leicestershire: Click on the link and go to HOUSING AND HOMELESS and enter the postcode area you are in.  This site also provides information about running away, being homeless, your rights and possible benefits. Help line:  0800 808 4994  Text: 80849